How to Choose a Baby Name - Top Baby Names for 2023 Australia
The moment I found out I was pregnant I immediately starting looking at baby names! It's so fun and exciting, but pretty quickly we realised there were a lot of factors to take into account and never mind trying to find names both me and hubby agreed on.
Here are a few tips we found helpful to narrow down your choices and find the perfect name for your little one.
- Consider family names: you may choose to honor a family member by using their name for their child's first or middle name. This can be a great way to pay tribute to your loved ones and keep their memory alive for those who are no longer with you.
- Think about the meaning of the name: The meaning of a name can often hold special significance Consider the meanings of names that you like, and see if they align with the values and beliefs that you want to instill in your child or perhaps names relating to the season the baby will arrive or the location he or she was conceived or will be born in.
- Keep it simple: A name that is easy to pronounce and spell will make things easier for your child as they grow older. Avoid names that are difficult to say or spell, as they may cause your child frustration and confusion.
- Consider the initials: Think about the initials of your baby's name, and how they will look when combined with your last name. This can be a fun way to play around with different names and see which ones look and sound the best. It's also worth thinking about how the name may be shortened by family and friends and avoiding any nasty nick names (kids can be mean!)
- Take your time: There is no rush to choose a baby name. Take your time to consider all of your options and don't feel pressured to make a decision right away.
As it's still early in the year it's hard to say to what the top baby names for 2023 will be but some predictions are showing that names like Emma, Liam, Noah and Olivia for girls and boys, will still be showing up a lot, as well as names that have a connection to nature, like River, Sky, and Sage.
Ultimately, the most important thing is that you and your partner agree on the name and are happy with your choice.
If you're still hunting for the perfect name we’ve got you covered with some inspiration below.
For our full baby name list click HERE and find your perfect name now.
Good luck and let us know which names are your favourites in the comments.